I’m away from Richmond this Black Friday, so instead of doing the Record Store Day thing, I’m taking this opportunity to scoop up a few items I’ve had my eye on online for a while. Doesn’t hurt that most labels are sending out discount codes via email. I’ve compiled a bunch of those below, along with a handful of albums I’m set on snagging.
Fiona Apple — The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
I’ve been waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for someone to repress this thing, given the $100+ price point of the existing copies available on Discogs. Vinyl Me, Please to the rescue. “Every Single Night” remains one of my favorite songs from the last decade or so, and I was lucky enough to see Mountain Man do a cover of “Hot Knife” when they recently came through Richmond. Won’t soon forget it. Not for nothing, VMP is doing a site-wide 30% off sale today…
Saw Black & The Toys — Christmas in the Background
Saw Black. War Hen Records. Christmas. Count me in. Just 100 copies were pressed, so don’t sleep on this one.
The Congress — The Loft Tapes
I had my eye on a Loft Tapes ebay listing ever since I interviewed Scott Lane of the Congress and American Paradox Records. While the resulting piece zoomed in on his role as founder of AP, I learned a ton about the Congress’ early days, including how The Loft Tapes served as an on-the-job education when it came to producing albums. It’s a killer collection. Out of print, but there’s one for sale on Discogs, and it’s available for listening via streaming services.
DJ Harrison — Vault Series #9: Thanksgiving Dinnerz
According to Bandcamp, this nine-song set is available for only a limited time. Listened to it on the way out of town yesterday morning, after “Alice’s Restaurant” and before my car’s Bluetooth connection stopped working. Fun times!
Spacebomb House Band — VI: Connected by Birth and Employment
I learned a while back that Mrs. YHT keeps one of those little packets of two saltines in her glove box, just in case some sort of apocalyptic traffic situation unfolds. My first thought was “That seems a little alarmist,” but I realized I do the same thing by keeping a walkman, an aux cord, and the latest volume in the Spacebomb House Band’s cassette series in the car at all times. And guess what? That’s what we listened to when my car’s Bluetooth crapped out on Friday! I’m late in snagging Volume VI, so I plan to remedy that over the next few days.
As promised, here are a few limited-time discount situations I’ve seen marketed. Hope they help you start the holiday season off right.
- 4AD: 25% off most releases with 4ADEOY25OFF
- Secretly Store: 30% off with BLACKFRIYAY
- Oh Boy Records: 25% off everything
- Vinyl Me, Please: 30% off with THANKFUL4VINYL2019
- Saddle Creek: 20% off with HOLIDAY2019
- New West Records: All sorts of stuff on sale, including 50% off some test pressings
- Dualtone: 40% the holiday sale collection with DT40YOU
- Port Merchandise: Sales unique to each artist
- Acony Records: Free shipping (check out the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings boot socks)
- The National: 2-for-1 tickets on Cyber Monday
- The Broadberry: 20% off select shows with BB20
- Death Cab for Cutie: 20% off, free shipping
- Animal Collective: 20% select items