Happy Friday! A few news and notes items before you hit the club:
- Congrats to Clair Morgan on the USA Today/FTW song premiere! Very exciting to see this record off to a great start, because it’s damn good and lots and lots of people need to hear it. Can’t wait to spin my vinyl copy. Be sure to check them out tonight at Hardywood!
- THIS IS NOT A DRILL… BATTLES IS REISSUING MIRRORED. This has been on my holy grail list for a while — one of the albums I’m most jealous that my sister and brother-in-law have and I don’t. I seriously check the “B” section of every record store I go into, just in case. Very excited about this development.
- I found a used copy of Godspeed You! Black Emperor’s Yanqui U.X.O. this week. Such an interesting album. I actually hadn’t heard it, but recognized the cover and gave it a listen in the store. Really tense and beautiful, but one of the most compelling things about it is when it was released. Post 9/11 but pre-Iraq invasion. What an eerie time to look back on.
- Gorgeous new song from Moses Sumney. Feels like he’s pushing into more realized territory with each song he releases. (Here’s a thing I wrote after seeing him open for Sufjan.)
- I have a gig Saturday night at Capital Ale House opening for the SteppinStone reunion, but another great Saturday shindig will be happening over at the Broadberry with Southern Belles. Either way, you can’t lose.
Three of the last four teams in the tournament will lose between now and Monday… hope yours wins!