- New EP from Mavis Staples? Check.
- Savvy electronic production from labelmate Son Little that lays down a haunting and murky atmospheric foundation while threading the reverence+newness needle? Mhmm.
- Two songs written by Son Little? Yup. One by Blind Lemon Jefferson and another by Pops Staples? Yuuuup.
- Perfectly unsettling background vocals (Son Little’s, I think) on “See That My Grave Is Kept Clean”? Damn right.
- Worth a listen? You better believe it.
Side note — hope y’all are as excited as I am to see Son Little at Friday Cheers in June!